#Meatless Monday is a movement started in America to encourage people to go meatless on one day of the week. By switching to a purely veggie diet for one day a week you can save money, benefit health wise and also help the environment by minimising water usage, reducing greenhouse gases and saving on fuel. All by eating less meat one day a week!
On the #meatless Monday site there are a range of delicious recipes, restaurant recommendations and interesting articles.
We’ve picked our favourite recipe with a light summer Mediterranean flavour. This refreshing salad is simple, flavoursome, filling and the perfect introduction to quinoa. The nutritious super grain is elevated with fresh flavours of lemon, mint, garlic and green onion, with a handful of almonds thrown in for an additional protein boost. This recipe comes to us from Marti of Tofu ’n Sprouts!
- 1 cup quinoa*, rinsed & cooked to package directions
- 3 green onions, sliced with tough ends removed
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed in a garlic press
- 1 tablespoon fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons fresh mint leaves, chopped
- Salt and lemon-pepper, to taste
After quinoa has finished cooking, remove from heat and cool on a cookie sheet.
Place the cooked and cooled quinoa, green onions, olive oil, garlic and lemon juice
together in a large bowl. Stir until combined. Season with mint, salt and lemon-pepper.
Garnish with pomegranate seed.
Share, savour, enjoy!